The Old Dominion University Mary D. Pretlow Planetarium is located adjacent to the Chemical Sciences building, Alfriend Hall, on the main campus.
Miss Mary Denson Pretlow
Photo Courtesy of the
Norfolk Public Library
|The planetarium was named for Miss Mary Denson Pretlow at the request of the anonymous donor who presented the university with the funds to build the planetarium.|
The University's Board of Visitors was receptive to naming the building after Miss Pretlow due to her thirty years of service (1917-1947) as head of the Norfolk Public Library as well as her career as a distinguished historian and librarian.
The 40-foot domed Spitz Ap-3 planetarium is used by the introductory astronomy classes and has occasional public presentations.
|Astronomy courses at Old Dominion University were first implemented by the late C. S. Sherwood, III.
The Director of the Planetarium is Dr. Declan De Paor. His phone is (757) 683-4619 for additional information or his e-mail address: E-mail.
Planetarium Shows can be arranged for your school or other groups for very reasonable fees. Please contact Dr. Declan De Paor by phone or e-mail.
Dr. Declan De Paor, Director, Pretlow Planetarium
Photo Courtesy of www.GlenMcClure.com